Technological distinctiveness calls for customized manufacturing. And the process can only begin when all components have successfully passed quality controls.
Following dial assembly, mounting of the hands and setting into the case, a radio-controlled timepiece goes through very special tests, such as a time signal reception sensitivity test for different frequencies in our in-house time tunnel.
A mechanical Junghans will remain with a single watchmaker or a small team of specialists, who are fully responsible for its development from the first moment onwards, all the way through to power reserve fine-tuning and final water-resistance testing.
Ideas, innovation and design have a long heritage at Junghans. Long before a Junghans watch finds its way to its owner’s wrist, market trends are analyzed and new technologies are developed in our R&D facilities.
This creative process is the take-off point for each and every one of our timepieces – and has been for more than 150 years.
Over and above legibility, a watch’s functionality, its ergonomic handling, as well as manufacturing and assembly-related criteria, are put through stringent testing.
And it is only once all factors have been addressed to the satisfaction of our designers and watchmakers that we proceed to manufacturing individual components. For us, it is a given that quality is always top priority.
The Junghans watch factory came in to being in 1861. Erhard Junghans founded the company in Schramberg, a small town in the Black Forest, together with his brother-in-law, Jakob Zeller-Tobler. At first, they specialized in manufacturing individual parts for watch production. The precision of Junghans’ work quickly became synonymous with outstanding quality of manufacturing. The first Junghans watches were designed and constructed by the company’s master watchmakers in 1866.
The eight-point star that is still the Junghans trademark today was first registered in 1890. At that time, many patents and processes were already developed that gave Junghans a competitive edge in quality and manufacturing.
Junghans watches came to be known as affordable, high-quality products from Germany and sold well around the world. In 1903, the vision became a reality – Junghans was the world’s largest clock factory.
More than 3,000 employees produced more than three million watches each year. The manufacturing facility soon had to be expanded. And so the terrace building came in to being, with a step-like construction that delivered natural daylight to each and every watchmaker’s workstation. This building was also the place where the first mechanical wristwatches were manufactured.
Junghans was founded in the Black Forest town of Schramberg in 1861. Over 150 years of expertise in precision and design is reflected in memorable milestones: In 1903 Junghans was the largest watch manufacturer in the world, with over 3,000 employees. The development of precision movements made the company the largest German manufacturer of chronometers in 1951 and the third largest worldwide in 1956. In 1972 Junghans was the official timekeeper of the Olympic Games in Munich, setting new standards in timekeeping. After an eventful and turbulent company history, the Schramberg entrepreneurs Dr. Hans-Jochem and Hannes Steim became the new owners of the venerable company in 2009.
Each watch is produced in Schramberg with great attention to detail, technological expertise and high standards of design and quality. The collection comprises charismatic timepieces: The Meister watches, which have been produced since the 1930s, reflect the history and present of the company. In 1956 Max Bill designed watches that have become absolute classics. Distinguished by the Bauhaus philosophy, they are still produced today in nearly unchanged form. Junghans set new standards in 1990 with the invention of the radio-controlled wristwatch – a technology that is still used today, in combination with environmentally-friendly solar power. A wide variety of technology as unique as the watches bearing the star.