Space for design

02/16/2018

The minimalist design of the new max bill models from Junghans generates maximum attention.



The minimalist arrangement and choice of objects according to their function to establish creative order is a characteristic of the Bauhaus. The minimalist idea is particularly evident in Bauhaus architecture, typified by high ceilings, light-flooded rooms and understated interior furnishings. Because allowing design the necessary space enables it to bring its full effect to bear. The new max bill models from Junghans adhere to this principle precisely: the reserved design is given the necessary space in which to unfold by the discreet, soft gold hue of the case. The plain dial in a light shade of grey follows the principles of Bauhaus architecture and places the essential element in the foreground: the time. In keeping with the motto “form follows function”, discreet hands, fine lines and numerals display the time. The minimalist elements skilfully enhance the purist design of the timepiece, according it maximum attention.

The new Junghans max bill in soft gold – maximum minimal.

The JUNGHANS max bill line

True to the premise of “form follows function”, the artist and Bauhaus pupil Max Bill created a timepiece of a special kind. The logical dial layout of the kitchen clock of 1956, which made design history as the Max Bill wall clock, became the characteristic feature of his timepieces and was incorporated into the design of the first wristwatches of Max Bill in 1961. The artist places particular importance on the combination of utility value and beauty. With constructive clarity and the strive for aesthetic perfection, the design classics of the JUNGHANS max bill line are still produced largely unchanged to this day.

Junghans – The German Watch

Uhrenfabrik Junghans was founded in the Black Forest town of Schramberg in 1861. Over 150 years of expertise in precision and design is reflected in memorable milestones: in 1903 Junghans is the largest watch manufacturer in the world, with over 3,000 employees. The development of precision movements made the company the largest German manufacturer of chronometers in 1951 and the third largest worldwide in 1956. In 1972 Junghans was the official timekeeper of the Olympic Games in Munich, setting new standards in timekeeping. After an eventful and turbulent company history, the Schramberg businessmen Dr. Hans-Jochem and Hannes Steim became the new proprietors of the venerable company in 2009. Each watch is produced in Schramberg, with great attention to detail, technological expertise and high standards of design and quality. The collection comprises charismatic timepieces: the Meister watches, which have been produced since the 1930s, reflect the history and present of the company. In 1956 Max Bill designed watches that have become absolute classics. Distinguished by the Bauhaus philosophy, they are still produced today in nearly unchanged form. Junghans set new standards in 1990 with the invention of the radio-controlled wristwatch – a technology that is still used today, in combination with environmentally-friendly solar power. A breadth of technology as unique as the watches bearing the star.